Citizenship/ Naturalization

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski

We provide assistance with the naturalization / citizenship application (n400) to help you apply for citizenship and become a naturalized citizen.

Naturalization is the process to receive United States citizenship. In order to apply for naturalization, you must have already received a green card.

If your biological or legal adoptive mother or father is a U.S. citizen by birth, or was naturalized before you reached your 18th birthday, you may already be a U.S. citizen.
Per USCIS, naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the citizenship requirements.
​You must have held a green card for at least three years, living in the United States for the last three years with your spouse, have been physically present in the United States at least 18 months out of the last three years.

You also must be able to read/write/speak English (some exceptions exist), have knowledge of United States history and government, and have good moral character.
​You are eligible for citizenship once you have been a green card holder for at least 5 years, as a permanent resident for at least three years. You also must be able to read/write/speak English (some exceptions exist), have knowledge of United States history and government, and have good moral character.

It is possible to gain United States citizenship through qualifying service in the armed forces and as a child born to a United States citizen who is residing outside the United States.
The processing time for naturalization depends on multiple factors. Typical processing time from the submission of the form until the interview is 12-30 months.

The current processing times may be found at this link:
Traveling with a valid passport from the country of origin, and a valid green card to allow admittance back to the United States, travel is allowed. However, it is important to keep in mind there will be a mandatory biometrics appointment and a requirement to be physically present in the United States as part of the citizenship requirements.
The first step will be gaining a permanent residency status (green card). See the section on green cards.
​The Application for Naturalization filing fee is $640. There is a requirement for biometrics which is $85. It is possible to receive a reduced rate based on household income and a waiver on biometrics based on age.
​Yes. ​If a person received citizenship illegally, conceals materials facts or willfully misrepresents, holds membership with certain organizations or gains citizenship through armed service and receives other than an honorable discharge, among the applicable reasons for revocation of citizenship.
No, once you receive your citizenship there is no requirement to renew.

Have Problems But Can't Consult Anyone?

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski


Green Card/Adjustment of Status/Consular Processing

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

Interview Preparation

USCIS contacts applicants with an interview time.  This interview is another opportunity to use an attorney to protect your interests.

Request for Evidence

A Request for Evidence (RFE) can be alarming.  However, these are often an opportunity for clarification on your application package.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) allow some individuals who entered the United States as minors, and either entered illegally or over stayed their visa, to receive a renewable two-year period where they are deferred from deportation and are eligible for a work permit.

Deportation Defense

Deportation (sometimes called “removal”) occurs when the federal government formally removes an alien from the United States for violations of immigration or criminal laws by going through Immigration Court proceedings. 

Work Permit

A work permit may be available to you based on your status, circumstances, and your opportunity to submit applications that include a work permit.