Work Permits

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski

We discuss options that will allow our clients to receive a work permit from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Immigrants whose immigration status authorizes them to work in the United States without restrictions may receive a work permit, or receive working privileges or employment authorization document (EAD) through a green card.
Business visas come with a work permit.

Visa status that comes with a work permit include asylum, adjustment of status, DACA, T visa, U visa and VAWA.
This depends. If you are getting a work permit through an employer then this is possible.

It you are wanting a work permit but have no other visa, then you will unlikely be able to gain a work permit.
It depends. Work authorization is specific to the visa held by the individual. Because of this, if your visa allows for others to gain status, then you may be able to get your family members a work permit.
It depends. If you are requesting a work permit through a business it may be possible.
Yes. You may request a social security number when you reiceve a work permit.
It depends. For some applications there there is no fee for the application.

In other cases, the fee is $410. This depends on the underlying visa.
​Yes. The work permit is often tied to another visa that is held. If there are criminal activitites or other acts that exclude you from being elgibile for the visa, then your work permit will also be terminated.

Have Problems But Can't Consult Anyone?

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski


Green Card/Adjustment of Status/Consular Processing

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.”

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) allow some individuals who entered the United States as minors, and either entered illegally or over stayed their visa, to receive a renewable two-year period where they are deferred from deportation and are eligible for a work permit.

Fiancé(e) Visa

This visa is used if you are a U.S. citizen who wants to bring your foreign citizen fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married.


You can get asylum status in the United States by asking for protection from the federal government. How you ask for asylum status depends on where you are physically located (within the United States, or at the Border or a Port-of Entry like an airport) and whether you are in removal/deportation proceedings before the Immigration Court.

U Visa

The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

T Visa

T nonimmigrant status is a temporary immigration benefit that enables certain victims of a severe form of human trafficking to remain in the United States for up to 4 years if they have assisted law enforcement in an investigation or prosecution of human trafficking. An example of trafficking may include being employed but the employer not paying wages for time you have worked.