U Visa

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski

We provide assistance with obtaining your U Visa from US Citizenship and Immigration Services, this may include a green card.

The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. You must have information about the criminal activity, you must have been helpful/are helpful/will be helpful in the investigation and prosecution, and the crime must have occurred in the United States violating United States law. 

If your application is successful, you may receive a green card with a work permit.

Yes.  If you are under 21 you may petition on behalf of your spouse, parents, children and unmarried sibling under the age of 18.

If you are over 21, you may petition on behalf of your spouse and children

Yes, it is possible. You must have been in the United States for a continuous period of at least three years and you must have provided assistance to law enforcement.

You must have information about the crime. You must show you were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may assist law enforcement on your behalf.

  • Abduction
  • Abusive Sexual Contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic Violence
  • Extortion
  • False Imprisonment
  • Female Genital Mutilation
  • Felonious Assault
  • Fraud in Foreign
  • Labor Contracting
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary Servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of Justice
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Slave Trade
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Witness Tampering
  • Unlawful Criminal Restraint

There is a waiver available for many items that would otherwise prevent you from qualifying for a green card. 

Each individual case is different.

There is no fee for the application. 

There is a fee for the waiver, if it is necessary. 

​Yes. The U visa is valid for four years. If this period expires without an extension the U visa is no longer valid. However, the U visa is automatically extended upon the filing of an application for adjustment of status (green card).

Have Problems But Can't Consult Anyone?

Accént Legal the law office of Mark Kowalewski


Green Card/Adjustment of Status/Consular Processing

A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.”


Naturalization is the process of U.S. citizenship being granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Interview Preparation

USCIS contacts applicants with an interview time.  This interview is another opportunity to use an attorney to protect your interests. 

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) allow some individuals who entered the United States as minors, and either entered illegally or over stayed their visa, to receive a renewable two-year period where they are deferred from deportation and are eligible for a work permit.

Deportation Defense

Deportation (sometimes called “removal”) occurs when the federal government formally removes an alien from the United States for violations of immigration or criminal laws by going through Immigration Court proceedings. 

Work Permit

A work permit may be available to you based on your status, circumstances, and your opportunity to submit applications that include a work permit.